The term Asthma has a Greek interpretation which means short-drawn or panting breath. This is considered as one of the most serious ailment condition of the respiratory system. The patient that is affected by this condition has breathlessness attack.
Symptoms of Asthma
- The person that is affected by asthma usually appears gasping for breath. Actually, those who suffer asthma have more difficulty breathing out than breathing in. The rationale behind is that the air passages in his respiratory system is clogged by too much amount of mucous.
- You will also notice that those who are affected by this condition have difficulty breathing at night. During the attack of asthma at night, you will notice that it is in gradual onset.
- Other symptoms of the condition are chest tightness, coughing, abdominal pain, vomiting as well as sweating.
Causes of Asthma
- There are different causes of asthma. First and foremost is that this is brought by allergic reaction to perfumes, drugs, foods as well as weather.
- Sensitivity to dust is also another cause of asthma attacks. Other environmental factors that can exacerbate this condition are cockroaches, insects, fungi, animal hair and pollen.
- There are also some foods that can cause attack of asthma. There are people who are sensitive to foods like beef, pork, potato, beans, chocolates, milk, eggs as well as wheat. People are oftentimes allergic to these sorts of foods because they do not have the appropriate enzymes that can metabolize such foods.
- Emotional tension as well as stress is also a cause of the asthma attacks.
- Years of wrong diets, vices and irregular waste disposal. Anything that weakens the respiratory system like smoking, alcohol drinking and exposure to chemicals that can damage your lungs.
- Too much eating of mucus forming foods like concentrated starches, refined flour, white breads, cakes, biscuits, pies, breakfast cereals and cow’s milk.
There are is no such definite cure for asthma. This is because of the fact that the condition has its remissions and aggravation states. There are experts in the field suggesting that asthma disappears as one ages.
- The main treatment for asthma is to identify first the cause of the attack. In here, you take note of the foods that you ingested prior to the asthma exacerbation. When you have identified the specific food that caused the asthma attack, you have the chance to avoid ingesting that food next time.
- To relieve the congestion happening in the lungs of the patient with asthma, you can place wet packs on his chest area. Also, you have to make the patient perspire in order to relieve lung congestion. You can have the patient undergo steam bath, sun bath, hot hip bath as well as hot foot bath.
- During the attack. When the attack comes after overeating, it is possible to make the patient vomit to empty the load of the stomach. Let the patient drink a warm glass of water with a little salt, and tell the patient to put his finger as much as he can to his throat so he can vomit. This can give relief to the patient.
- In order to eliminate the present toxins in the body of the patient, you can offer him lemon juice with matching honey. This is not just effective in removing toxins caused by asthma but also a nice way in order to boost the function of your immune system.
- Wrong diet must also be avoided by patients with asthma. The specific diet of the patient with this condition is composed of carbohydrates in limited quantity, alkaline foods in liberal quantity and also increase in germinated gram, green vegetables as well as fresh fruits.
- Foods that oftentimes cause phlegm must also be avoided by the person with asthma mentioned above in the causes of asthma. Also, foods that are very hard to digest and very acidic must be avoided like flesh meats. When you avoid eating these foods, there will be less production of mucous that congests your airway passages. Smoking and liquor drinking must be stopped. They can make asthma worse.
- The foods that must be included in the breakfast of the asthmatic patients are honey, black raisins, berries, orange and prunes. During lunch as well as dinner, you can take lettuce, raw vegetables in salad form, carrot, tomato, cucumber and wheat bread. One good tip for you is to eat your last food before sunset or two hours before you go to bed.
- It is also very much effective to increase the water intake of patients with asthma. The main characteristic of the phlegm in this condition is very much sticky. In order to clear away the sticky mucous that cause congestion to the air passages, you have to drink at least eight glasses of water. Fresh juices from pineapple, orange, lemons, guava, papaya, and grapes. Drink juices in between meals, early morning and before bedtime.
- Garlic and onions are also good in the treatment for asthma. Extract the juice by slicing and pounding it in a spoon. Put a little water and strain with the help of a piece clean thin cloth. Drink 1-2 tablespoon daily. For children, 1-2 daily.
- Tea made from the following can also give relief to the patient and these are the leaves of mango tree and avocado leaves. Your ginger can also be steamed together with ginger tea. This must be taken in the morning then followed in the evening.
- Turmeric is also an effective natural treatment for attacks of asthma. In here, you have to give the person suffering from asthma with one teaspoon of its powder. Do this two to three times daily. Remember also that this works best when taken with an empty stomach. Remember that when your stomach is empty, there will be faster absorption of this asthma treatment.
- To restore the health condition in respiratory system, drink juices of carrots and radishes with the advised proportion.
- Carrots = 11 oz
- Radish = 5 oz.