Constipation is considered as one of the most typical digestive system disturbance. It is a condition where waste matter or stool has its difficulty or has prolonged in going out. This is a very common problem where most people don’t care about. Some people think it has no cure or and it is part of living. But that’s not the case and it is a wrong idea.
Constipation is said to be the “mother of all disease.” From it comes every other disease. In this condition the wastes that are not eliminated produces toxins which can be absorbed by the blood stream and will be carried to different body parts. After that, the whole bodily system is affected. As a result, symptom will appear. But the sad thing is, most people will address the symptoms by taking drugs and in this case, the root problem is not treated and will often result to more severe health problems.
For you to be considered as a person with normal bowel movement, you have at least to dispose your bowel once or twice a day.
Symptoms of Constipation
- Difficulty or irregularity of bowels is the most common symptoms of constipation.
- As a result of constipation, the following ailments are seen: foul breath, indigestion, dizziness, acne, nervousness, neuritis, neuralgia, absent-mindedness, inability to concentrate, mental depression, epilepsy, headache, asthma, gallstones, arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure, lower resistance, coated tongue, constant fatigue, and physical depression.
Causes of Constipation
- The main cause of constipation is error in the person’s diet. This includes imbalance in the intake of foods that contributes to the proper intestinal movement. Particularly, most of the foods ingested at this time lack the food content called roughage. This is also the other term used when referring to fiber. Mostly the foods eaten are lack of vitamins and minerals, lacks of nutrients.
- The decrease intake of foods that have essential nutrients as well as water is also a rooted cause of this condition. Consumption of meat and animal products also makes the stool more bulky. Dairy products, biscuits, cookies, pasta, pies, spaghetti, white breads, chocolates, cocoa, tea, coffee, drinking with meals, cheese, fried foods, highly seasoned foods, and other unhealthy foods can cause constipation.
- Faulty or irregular defecation habit is also a cause of this disease. In addition to that, abdominal muscle weakness and too much use of purgatives are also proven causes of constipation.
- Other factors that will contribute to bowel movement problem is lack of water intake, hasty eating, lack of exercise, overeating and wrong food combination.
- Growth of intestinal tumors are also said to be a main cause of constipation. The presence of these bulky mass in the intestines causes blockage for the passage of stools.
Natural Remedies for Constipation
- The main focus of the treatment for constipation is in the diet. The foods that must be eaten are lentils, molasses, honey, bran, cereals and whole grains. You must also incorporate in your diet green leafy vegetables like cabbage, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, spinach, carrot, asparagus, beets, peas, pumpkin, turnip, celery, sprouts, brussesls and cauliflowers. Your diet must also involve some specific fruits like oranges, guava, gooseberries, grapefruit, mangoes, papayas, figs, grapes, pears, apricots and raisins.
- You must also avoid ingesting foods that cause constipation. Example of these foods are white sugar, spicy foods, cheese, biscuits, pastries, cakes, white breads, rice, white flour and anything that is mentioned above that can cause constipation must be avoided.
- Another treatment deals with the proper manner of eating foods. It is advised that when you eat, you must chew your food properly. Your meals should not be taken vastly. Remember that when you are not able to chew your food properly, it will not be crushed into smaller particles. Furthermore, your stomach will find it hard to digest this huge food amount.
- Water therapy is also proven effective in easing away constipation. The right amount of water that must be ingested is about six up to eight glasses daily. Drink 1-2 glasses of water after you wake up in the morning. Drink fruit juices between meals. This will help a lot in dissolving and digesting the foods that you have taken in. As a result, the food nutrients will be properly extracted and absorbed from ingested foods.
However, you must remember to avoid drinking water with meals because you will dilute the gastric juices in your stomach. This means that the digestive property of the gastric secretions will no longer be in its best potential. Remember also that you have to take water not more than an hour before you will sleep. Aside from its effects in metabolism, water is also effective in washing away the toxins in your body. This also helps in diluting the blood.
- Ingesting hot water mixed with lime juice and a teaspoon of salt is also a nice way to relieve your constipation. When you do this, there are instant good results once you wake up in the morning.
- Muscle toning is also an effective way in order to restore the proper intestinal rhythm in your GI tract. You must engage in strenuous activities such as exercises, sports and even the ordinary house chores in your home will do. This will surely make your bowel movement run in the right pace. Do not also forget to have a regular pattern of defecating. This way, you are able to condition your intestines to defecate in the specific time that you want.
Stop all causes of constipation and this dreaded problem will not appear. Change your lifestyle and the food you eat and wave this problem goodbye.