Sinusitis is the inflammation of the membranes in the mucous lining of paranasal sinuses. There are groups of sinuses called as paranasal, frontal and maxillary sinuses.
The paranasal sinuses are composed of the sphenoid, ethmoid, maxillary and frontal sinuses. The frontal sinuses are mainly located in the frontal bone. On the other hand, you can find the maxilliary sinuses in each nasal side below the cheekbone. Conversely, sphenoid sinuses lie under the nose. This is commonly a result of other ailments such as influenza, common colds as well as other infections in the upper respiratory system.
The cause microorganisms of such ailments hide by attaching to the chambers in the sinuses and in some instances, in the nasal passages’ sides. This leads to the occurrence of sinusitis. Sinus is mainly composed of chambers or cavities settled in the bone that is located chiefly in the facial region. Sinuses help a lot in reducing the overall weight of the skull.
- The primary symptoms of sinusitis are runny nose, random sneezing, nostril blockage, pressure around the head and headache that is also felt in the face as well as in the eyes. The headache associated by sinus is usually experienced in the forehead part and below the eyes.
- The person affected with this condition may also experience fever that is low grade, loss of appetite and toothache.
- You will also notice that the patient with sinusitis is looking miserable since he has some difficulty in breathing.
- There are also voice changes because of the nose blockage.
Causes of Sinusitis
- The primary cause of sinusitis is sinus passage congestion because of catarrh. What happens in this is that there is too much secretion of the mucous from the nose, throat then to the head. The over production of mucous is caused by the blood toxins present.
- Wrong diet is also a major cause of sinusitis. Eating too much on foods like candies, cakes, pies, macaroni products, rice, white breads, white flours, ice cream, white sugar and starchy foods (mostly acidic foods)
- Over sensitivity to some foods is also a rooted cause of sinusitis.
Exposure too strong chemicals or fresheners. Allergy problems can also trigger.
Natural Remedies for Sinusitis
- Sinusitis focuses in the limitation of salt intake. Salt by nature attracts water. When there is a lot of salt content in your diet, the tendency is that it will attract more water that will increase the congestion in the sinuses.
- During the attack of the sinusitis, it is advised for the patient to avoid eating solid foods. Instead, he should incorporate soft diet in his menu. During this stage, there is an inflammation of the throat. As we all know, throat is the main passage of the food that a person takes in. When it is inflamed, it is very much difficult for the food to pass through it. Soft foods, on the other hand, can easily pass through the inflamed throat.
- It is also advised for the patient with sinusitis to drink fruit juices. Drink at least 1 pint of juices from citrus, lemon, grapes, guava, papaya, pineapple, and watermelon. Fruit juices are also good source of Vitamin C for you. This vitamin is responsible in boosting the immune system functions of your body. When the immune system is competent enough, you are able to easily fight the infection occurring in sinusitis.
- When there is already improvement in the condition of the patient, the affected person can embark to a well-planned diet in a gradual pace. The main compositions of the diet of the person with sinusitis are fruits and vegetables, grains and nuts and also seeds.
- The foods that must be avoided when a person is suffering chronic sinusitis are candies, cakes, pies, macaroni products, rice, flour, white sugar and starchy foods. Aside from that, the patient must also avoid ingesting strongly spiced dishes.
- Vitamin A is known as membrane conditioner. This means that you have to increase your intake of foods that contain Vitamin A. This helps in the improvement of membrane integrity. Good sources of foods with high Vitamin A content are carrot, pumpkin, papaya, mango, oranges, tomato and malunggay or leafy vegetables.
- The use of garlic is not just confined in fighting hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases for this are also effective in providing remedy in patients with sinusitis. Sinusitis has innate anti-viral properties that kill the causative agent of the sinusitis secondary to upper respiratory tract infections. You can eat along with your meals 2-3 gloves of garlic. Aside from that, you can have this natural sinusitis treatment steamed to lessen its untoward taste.
- Water treatment is also effective in treating sinusitis. In here, you have to do alternate hot and cold application. What you need to do is to bath your face with warm water or as hot as you can tolerate. After a few minutes, you must apply now cold water.
- Steam inhalation from herbs is also proven effective in relieving nasal congestion. Herbs include peppermint, eucaplyptus, chamomile, or garlic. If no herbs available, just boil a liter of water with 2 tablespoon of ordinary salt in it, and inhale.
- Do exercise. Inhale fresh air and do deep breathing as well in early morning and night.